ASUSTeK has finally announced the ASUS U3, a lightweight laptop with a 13.3″ widescreen, LED backlit display. The ASUS U3 is based on Intel’s Santa Rosa platform and is powered by Intel Core 2 Duo T7x00 or Core 2 Duo T5x50 CPUs with a Celeron M540 option. Details of the ASUS U3 began to leak in July of this year, but we now have official information concerning CPU options, dimensions, etc.
Some features of the U3:
– LED-Backlit Display with â€œSplendid Color Enhancement Engineâ€
– Integrated optional GPS available
– Dedicated graphics – NVIDIA 8400m with dedicated 128MB memory
– â€œPiano Blackâ€ finish
– eSata Port (External Serial ATA – SATA)
– HDMI Port
– Hardware switch for power savings (performance vs battery life)
– Magnesium Alloy case
– Optional 3G Connectivity
Width: 318.5mm / 12.5 inches
Depth: 243mm / 9.6 inches
Height: 22.2 – 32.2mm / 0.87 inches to 1.3 inches
Weight: 1.75kg / 3.85 pounds
It appears that in order to get the weight of a 13.3″ laptop down to under four pounds, ASUS had to remove the optical drive.