While I would take issue with Akihabara’s announcement that the new model of the Toshiba Portege R500 is “The World’s First Laptop with 128GB SSD” (since Toshiba announced the Portege R500-12Q for European customers back in April), it’s still a good sign that Toshiba is releasing more R500s with 128GB Solid State Drives (SSDs), especially as this model is targeted towards North American users.
In fact, this appears to be the first ultraportable laptop in North America with a 128GB SSD. It does appear to be identical to the Toshiba Portege R500-12Q.
– 12.1-inch LED-backlit display
– Transflective display for outdoor viewing
– Intel Core 2 Duo U7700 Ultra Low Voltage CPU (1.33GHz)
– 2GB Memory
– Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
– Bluetooth 2.0
– 2.4 pounds
– Internal DVD Writer
– Meets EPEAT Gold laptop and Energy Star 4.0 standards
– More than 8 hours battery life (depending on configuration)
– 32-bit Windows Vista Business
You do pay a price for that 128GB of storage: $2,999
Read: Akihabara News